Brokaw Credit Union’s priority is to serve all of its Members. Learn more about our commitment to accessibility here.
The Best Ways to Use a Few Hundred Dollars
Sometimes it can feel like you need thousands of dollars to move the needle on your finances even a little bit.
So if you find yourself with a few hundred dollars--say from a tax refund or an unexpected windfall--the temptation to spend it can be great. After all, how much difference can $500 make? But used wisely, even a few hundred dollars can put you on the road to a more financially secure future.
Here are some ways to make even a small amount of money count.
The Lease is Up--Should You Buy the Car?
You auto lease gives you a right to buy the vehicle for a fixed price at the end of the lease. But should you? If you have less than three months remaining on a lease, now's the time to decide. So, find your lease and read on.
1. Do you like the car? If it's performed well with a minimum of unexpected cost and repair, then it might be good to renew the lease.
2. Will it still fit your needs? If you're driving a 2-door sports coupe but are expecting a baby, you probably need a new car.
3. What is your lease-end buying price? You'll find the purchase option price in your lease. Let's assume it's $14,000.
4. What is your vehicle actually worth? Check websites such as Kelley Blue Book (kbb.com) and Edmunds.com Let's assume your highest wholesale value is $15,000.
5. How does your vehicle's wholesale value compare with its lease value? If it's higher than the lease value, then it's a good deal. In our example, your lease says you can buy for $14,000. You've confirmed wholesale value is $15,000. You're buying a car you know and like for $1,000 less than its wholesale value. Buy the car.
6. What if the wholesale value is less than the lease value? If it's a lot less, don't buy the car. It doesn't make sense to buy the car if your lease's buy-out price is $14,000, and the car's wholesale value is only $11,000.
7. What's the bottom line? If your lease car is a good friend, and you can buy it for no more than $1,000 over wholesale value, that's a smart buy. Your next smart decision is to finance it at Brokaw Credit Union!
300 Everest Ave
2006 Schofield Ave